I seriously love soup and it really has to be over 80 degrees for me to think it isn’t soup weather. So I found a recipe on pinterest for Kale & Chickpea soup. It was yummy, healthy, and SUPER budget friendly. I made a big batch of it which my hubby and I loved, but the kids kinda just tolerated it. I knew I would need to jazz it up a bit next time around and the following recipe was quite the hit!
- Full batch of organic kale
- one package sweet Italian chicken sausage
- one box organic chicken broth – 365 brand from Whole Foods Market
- one can garbanzo beans
- one large can diced tomatoes
- one large onion
- coconut oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
In a pan heat a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil (I don’t measure – just whatever works for you)
add in diced onions and cook till soft
add in kale leaves (don’t use the hard middles) and cook til wilted
set to the side
In the slow cooker put in the following
- sweet Italian sausage (raw but unthawed)
- box of chicken broth (you could also use two cans or some homemade chicken stock)
- garbanzo beans – drained but not rinsed
- cut up cauliflower
- add in cooked onions and kale
- add salt and pepper to taste
Set on high for 6 hours and walk away.
You could make this even easier by not precooking the onions and kale but I think the flavor really depends on this extra step. It only takes a couple minutes and it is well worth it if you ask me!
We had this for dinner on a drizzly night and it was so cozy! Most of us had seconds and there was plenty for us to enjoy at lunch the next day. Hearty, healthy, and budget approved.
Enjoy ~ Kate